Boiler Water Treatment & Chemical Treatment Services
Boiler Water Treatment Service
A boiler is an essential component of industrial operations across the world, producing steam for use in comfort heating, heating domestic hot water, maintaining accurate temperatures in industrial processes, and many other applications. With such critical uses, it's important that boilers are well-maintained for longevity and reliability.
When it comes to maintaining a boiler to ensure its efficient and long-lasting operation, the two biggest concerns are scale and corrosion:
- Boiler scale: This is a type of deposit made of materials like calcium, silica and iron. It appears when these impurities, initially found in the water, precipitate out of the water, then concentrate and harden onto the heat transfer surfaces of the boiler. These deposits can be particularly good at insulating and reduce how well heat transfers to the water, making your boiler less efficient. Scale can also slough off the sides and interrupt the flow of water in the tubes, causing overheating or failure.
- Boiler corrosion: This can come from several sources but often occurs due to a reaction between certain chemicals in the air or water and the metal of the boiler. These elements can cause pits and wear in the metal, eating away at the inner mechanisms. Other sources include acidity in the water or scale that traps corrosive sodium salts against the metal. Corrosion can shorten a boiler's lifespan, reduce its efficiency and cost more to run.
Both of these issues spell trouble for an industrial boiler system, reducing efficiency, raising costs, shortening the boiler's lifespan and contributing to increased maintenance needs. To keep your boiler free of corrosion and scale, you'll need to use the right boiler water treatment equipment and chemicals.
Chardon Laboratories is a professional and experienced boiler chemical treatment company that has the equipment, products and expertise to fully protect your boiler and other vital components of your steam system.
Our Boiler Water Treatment Services Include:
- A Free Survey to determine the current system status and needs.
- Regularly scheduled testing a treatment through a customized chemical treatment plan.
- Scale and corrosion prevention.
- Boiler care during peak use and off-season.
- Continued maintenance at a guaranteed annual price.
- Treatments that are all administered by ISO-certified technicians.
Benefits of Boiler Water Treatment
Read on to find out all we can do for you!
How Our Boiler Water Treatment Systems Can Eliminate Scale
As mentioned, the accumulation of scale creates an insulating effect. This insulation can ultimately result in the warping and rupture of the boiler tubes. Scale can also reduce heat transfer and efficiency, which can lead to an increase in fuel bills.
The Chardon Labs strategy for preventing the formation of scale in boilers includes the implementation of blowdown, a process that limits the concentration of dissolved minerals by maintaining the appropriate concentration cycles through the purposeful draining of feedwater out of the boiler. Feedwater with a lower concentration of dissolved solids is then added to replace the “blown down” water.
Another way in which we treat boiler feed water is by adding chemicals to the water. Our boiler chemical treatment creates a reaction that consumes many of the scale-forming minerals. Water softeners may also be used to remove calcium, iron and magnesium ions from the feedwater.
Our Boiler Water Treatment Company Can Prevent Corrosion
Corrosion in boilers can be classified in one two ways: general and pitting. General corrosion tends to spread over the entire surface of a metal part of a component. Pitting is more harmful of the two. Although it is more localized in its formation, pitting typically causes a higher amount of damage due to a heavier concentration of corrosion in a smaller area. This often results in a more rapid penetration of corrosion that can lead to total part failure.
Our boiler water treatment service for corrosion entails the application of effective chemical solutions. We use sulfite to absorb the high levels of dissolved oxygen that typically accompanies pitting. We also use a variety of boiler water treatment products to effectively disperse precipitated crystals and particulates. This prevents materials from settling and creating insulating deposits that can eventually result in corrosion, as well as thermal stress.
Why Should You Choose Chardon Labs From the Other Boiler Chemical Treatment Companies?
In addition to our high-quality boiler treatment chemicals and time-tested boiler treatment strategies, Chardon Labs features top-quality service delivered by our experienced, ISO-certified field technicians.
Unlike many of our competitors, we don’t sell chemicals — we service and sell clean systems. We also share a mutual goal with our customers of keeping costs as low as possible. What’s more, we guarantee scale-free boiler water treatment systems at a guaranteed price.
Contact us to learn more about our boiler water treatment service today!
Cost of Boiler Deposits
The two primary concerns for steam boilers are scale and corrosion. When scale deposits form on boiler tubes, they act as an insulator resulting in uneven heat distribution, warped tubes, and wasted energy. Corrosion can cause oxygen pitting in the boiler, steam trap failure, and leaking condensate lines.
Any of these problems can result in failed inspections and costly repairs. Chardon’s full-service treatment program will not only protect the boiler itself but all areas of your steam system which will maximize efficiency and extend equipment life.
This table indicates the relationship between scale thickness on boiler tubes and the percentage of fuel wasted. Scale is the leading factor contributing to a loss of efficiency in your steam boiler operation. Improper chemical treatment that results in scale deposits will substantially increase your fuel costs.
Request a free evaluation of your boiler system and find out the potential savings you could missing out on.
“We don’t sell chemicals, we sell clean systems.”
Boiler Water Treatment Equipment
Water Treatment Equipment For Boilers
In order to maintain an efficient and functioning boiler system, the proper equipment is of the utmost importance. Having upgraded equipment not only will help maintain your boiler, but it will lower chemical and energy usage by keeping the system running at optimal efficiency. A boiler running its best can reduce costs, improve operation and extend the lifespan of its equipment.
At Chardon, we offer a variety of boiler equipment that can help ensure that the chemical treatment program is working properly. From contact headwater meters to a conductivity controller, the functioning equipment can give detailed insight into the usage of the water and chemical, and give more accurate information to help prevent potential problems.
Contact us today for a free quote on any of the equipment we carry!
- Controllers: A controller can help you automate feeds, conductivity bleeds and read-outs to boost efficiency. With an easy-to-use interface and an array of input options, the MegaTron XS controller can ensure flexible and versatile command of your boiler system.
- Contact headwater meters: Contact headwater meters provide accurate readings regarding your water usage, so you can maximize efficiency and minimize costs. These meters offer proportional control according to the water flow when used with a pulse-activated pump or timer. With the right headwater meter, you can achieve consistent feeding.
- Corrosion coupon rack: A corrosion coupon rack and coupons allow you to estimate the rate of corrosion in a system, perfect for monitoring the effectiveness of a corrosion-reducing approach. Our corrosion coupons provide a quick disconnect and wrench-free removal and come with all the necessary mounting and installation hardware.
- Boiler probes: A boiler probe can detect the level of water in a system, a necessary task in many analysis operations. It can help you monitor pH levels and water levels, providing all the necessary information to treat the water. Our probes work with Advantage Controls controllers.
- Chemical mix tanks with agitator: Our double-wall chemical containment tanks allow you to add and store chemicals in a safe, controlled way. They offer an industrial-strength build with polyethylene for durability and a removable, spill-resistant lid with multiple metering pump mounts for easy access.
- Boiler blowdown solenoid: With our wide selection of bleed valves and solenoids, we can find the right one for your system, enabling consistent and dependable operations.
- Chemical pumps: A chemical pump is an essential component of your boiler and ensures accurate, regularly dispensed chemical dosages into the water. Your pump needs to match your boiler system for optimal efficiency. Fortunately, we have a large collection of chemical pumps with features for various applications, such as outdoor installations and high-accuracy adjustments.
Whatever kind of equipment you need, we can help you find it. We carry a wide selection of equipment so you can perfectly tailor your approach for as much efficiency as possible.
Boiler Treatment Chemicals
Boiler treatment chemicals are the key to solving many of the issues that can slow down or damage a boiler. They can also prevent many of these problems from occurring in the first place.
Typically, boiler treatment chemicals will address the specific characteristics of water that can lead to corrosion and scale. Here's how they work:
- Scale prevention: To keep the calcium carbonate under control, phosphonate chemicals are typically used to inhibit the production of scale. These chemicals can also have a sludge conditioner built in to help prevent solids from settling.
- pH control: Too much acidity in boiler water can be damaging to the overall system. A pH neutralizer uses sodium hydroxide to keep the acidity down and protect the metal of the boiler from the corrosive effects.
- Oxygen control: Oxygen is a common culprit when it comes to boiler damage. Whether it causes scale buildup or corrosion, it's important to keep the levels of dissolved oxygen in the water down by infusing it with chemicals that break down the gasses.
- Foam reduction: If dissolved solids rise to the surface, steam can cause them to foam up and reduce efficiency. Anti-foaming agents can adjust the surface tension of the water to reduce foam.
We carry a full line of boiler treatment chemicals, including:
- Scale prevention boiler chemicals: Our scale prevention chemicals use a phosphonate blend to keep scale from forming. These chemicals may also contain extra dispersing polymers, antifoaming agents, sludge conditioners and molybdate tracers to protect against overfeeding.
- pH control boiler chemicals: Our pH-controlling chemicals use sodium hydroxide to neutralize acid and raise the pH of the water. They come in liquid and solid formats.
- Boiler inhibitors: For an all-in-one solution, we offer boiler inhibitor treatments. The Comp-50 and Comp-F solutions contain sulfite, caustic and phosphonates, with Comp-F offering a food-safe solution. If you're looking for protection from oxygen pitting, BJ-10 is an economical, long-lasting option.
- Return-line boiler chemicals: Treating your return line ensures that pressure remains consistent and the metal can better withstand corrosion. We utilize blends with morpholine, cyclohexylamine, amines and ammonium hydroxide to accomplish different jobs. Different line lengths and pressures fit best with specific blends, and food-safe environments may need specific solutions.
Whether you want to take preventative action to keep your boiler working as efficiently as possible or need to change something about your existing water, our boiler treatment chemicals can help get the job done. It's important to select the right treatment for your specific application, and our experts can help with that, too.
Working With Chardon Labs
Here at Chardon Labs, we want you to have everything you need to keep your boiler working as efficiently as possible. Whether you know exactly what your system needs or you could use a little help figuring it out, our experts in boiler treatment are ready to assist.
We've been providing high-quality, cost-effective solutions for years with the help of our ISO-certified service technicians and processes. If your boiler is struggling with scale buildup, sludge formation, corrosion or reduced efficiency, your water could be to blame. We can help you determine the source of the issue and set you up with a boiler treatment solution that works.
To learn more about our comprehensive treatment programs and what they can do for you, reach out to us today for a free survey.